I’ve been using Eclipse PDT as my PHP editor of choice for some time now and it’s pretty neat. I even started extolling it’s virtues to other developers…which is when it suddenly stopped working on my machine. Which was slightly irritating because I really needed it working…
The precise problem was that when I tried to create a new PHP project, processor utilisation went through the roof and the program simply stopped working. The only solution at this stage was to use Task Manager to stop the program.
I have a rather Neanderthal approach to resolving this sort of problem, as usual starting with removing the program and re-installing it. This made no difference, and I started getting very annoyed.
Well, the one thing that re-installing the Eclipse application doesn’t change is youir workspace. By default this installs in Documents and Settings\<User Name> on XP, and sets up a folder called ‘workspace’. I took my source code from this folder, then deleted the folder and re-started Eclipse-PDT. This recreated the workspace and fixed the problem.